Hurricane DorianFriday, August 30th, 2019, 12:05 pm
With Hurricane Dorian on its way towards the US, we would like to provide our clients with some helpful tips to prepare for the possible impact of the storm.
For your family safety and protection:
- Make sure you have a list of emergency contacts. Establish a list of people you can call in the event something happens. Also, if you evacuate, make sure people know where you are going and how to get in touch with you.
- Make sure that all household members are aware of emergency procedures.
- Listen to local officials for updates and instructions. If evacuated, return home only when authorities indicate it is safe. Watch out for debris, downed power lines and trees that may have been compromised. Avoid crossing flood waters.
For your home safety and protection:
- Secure the building envelope.
- If applicable, make sure all storm shutters are in place and fastened securely.
- Lock all windows and doors to aid in strengthening the opening when high winds and debris arrive.
- Make sure your garage is locked and bracing is in place if applicable.
- Don’t overlook items on the inside.
- Move rugs and furnishings away from openings. Elevate them if possible. If a storm surge occurs in coastal areas, water can seep through thresholds and cause damage.
- Place towels or blankets in front of doors to help prevent water intrusion if water rises.
- Move drapes away from windows. You can also put bags at the bottom of the drapes to help protect them.
- If you have a fireplace, make sure the flue is closed so high winds can’t swoop in and push soot all over everything.
- Move personal possessions to the center of your home, away from windows and doors. Elevate your belongings as much as possible in case water pools on the floor around windows and doors.
- Secure outdoor property – these items can become airborne, making them projectiles in high winds; therefore, it’s critical that these items be placed in or moved to a secure location.
- Clear all gutters, scuppers and downspouts. Make sure all drains are free of debris.
- Test your back-up generator to ensure it is functioning properly.
- If you have art or other collectibles – be sure to secure and move them to higher protected areas if possible. Please remember, it’s important to have trained professionals move valuable items to help avoid damage.